- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium sized yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into large cubes
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 4 fresh artichoke hearts, cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsely
- Juice of 1 lemon
Arni me Anginares
Lamb and artichokes are a magical combination that captures all the real flavors and techniques of Greek cooking. This recipe uses seasonal vegetables as the main ingredient, with meat playing a secondary role, to produce a rich and simple stew. Add fresh peas for even more complexity. Enjoy!
Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish or saucepan and saute the onions over medium heat until softened. Add the lamb, stirring constantly until browned. Reduce the heat and add the tomatoes, tomato paste, white wine and enough water to just cover the meat.
Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add the artichokes, adding a little more water to just cover if necessary, and simmer until they are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the dill, parsley and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 30 minutes or until the meat is tender and the sauce has reduced.
Serves 4 to 6