- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large raw prawns, cleaned and deveined with tail shells left intact
- 6 oz feta cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Garides Saganaki – Shrimp Saganaki
This classic Greek dish of baked prawns is found in the fish tavernas of Athens, especially around Piraeus. This is one of my favorite Greek recipes!
Preheat the oven to 400F. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the prawns and cook for 5 minutes more. Scatter the feta on top and bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
Serves 4 to 6