- 1 lb dried white beans
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 sticks celery, strings removed and sliced
- 3 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped (or 1 15oz can peeled tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
This classic Greek vegetarian soup recipe is simple to make. Served with plenty of crusty bread, it makes a perfect dish for a large impromptu party!
Drain the beans and place in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil, skimming off any froth with a slotted spoon. Add all the other ingredients except the seasonings, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Allow to cool slightly, season with salt and pepper, and ladle onto bowls.
Serves 6 to 8