- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 zucchini, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
Briam is a popular summertime medley of baked vegetables. You can add other ingredients to this Greek recipe, such as peppers, okra and carrot for even more variety.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the eggplant, onion, and garlic and saute for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened. Place in a 12-by-12-by-2 inch baking dish. Place the potatoes, tomatoes, and zucchini in alternate layers on top of the eggplant and onion mixture, seasoning each layer with salt, pepper, and oregano. Pour the water and drizzle 1 tbsp oil over the top layer of zucchini. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and drizzle with the remaining tbsp of oil. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top has browned and the vegetables are tender.